Probate Attorney Oklahoma City ok

Oklahoma City Probate Attorney | Estate Planning in Oklahoma City

Prudent guidance for settling your loved one’s estate

Probate is the legal process of distributing the assets of a decedent’s estate in accordance with his or her will or in accordance with Oklahoma’s intestate succession laws if there is no will. If you have been named personal representative, executor, or administrator of a loved one’s estate or if you are concerned about your rights as a beneficiary, the experienced probate attorneys at Denker & Butler, P.L.L.C. in Oklahoma City are available to guide you through the process. We can assist you in ensuring that your loved one’s last will and testament is carried out fully and in accordance with his or her wishes. In addition, if a dispute concerning the will arises during the probate process, we can represent you in the Oklahoma probate court.

How long is the Oklahoma probate process? Are there alternatives to probate?

In Oklahoma, the probate process typically takes anywhere from four months to a year, though it can take much longer if there is a contest over the distribution of assets under the will. The probate process can be avoided altogether if the decedent executed a trust as an estate planning instrument during his or her lifetime.

Legal representation for Oklahoma executors and personal representatives

The Oklahoma City lawyers at Denker & Butler, P.L.L.C. provide the following services to individuals serving as executors or personal representatives in Oklahoma:

  • Carrying out the terms of the decedent’s will
  • Distributing assets through intestate succession
  • Identifying and collecting assets subject to probate
  • Paying debts, administration expenses, and taxes
  • Terminating joint tenancies
  • Handling widow/widower allowances
  • Accounting for asset distributions to help avoid disputes

Representatives of the estate can be held personally liable for errors that deprive beneficiaries of assets to which they are entitled, so you must get reliable advice from a knowledgeable and experienced probate attorney.

Widow/widower allowance and homestead rights; right to family assets

If you have recently lost your spouse, you may be wondering what is going to happen to your home and how you are going to care for yourself while the probate process runs its course. Oklahoma probate law provides surviving spouses with the right to continue to occupy their primary residence and also provides for an allowance to support the spouse and the couple’s children regardless of the terms of the decedent’s will.

Oklahoma probate law also grants surviving spouses and children the right to exclude family photos, burial lots, household and kitchen furniture, and certain other personal and necessary assets from the decedent’s administered estate, again, regardless of the terms of the will.

Speak with one of our probate lawyers in Oklahoma City

Dealing with the probate and estate administration process can be trying and uncomfortable, especially in the wake of the loss of a loved one. The experienced and compassionate Oklahoma City lawyers at Denker & Butler, P.L.L.C. understand what you are going through and can guide you through the process every step of the way. To schedule a consultation, call us today at 405-563-7151 or contact our Oklahoma City office online.

Denker & Butler, P.L.L.C. is located in Oklahoma City, OK and serves clients in and around Oklahoma City, Wheatland, Yukon, Bethany, Mustang, Harrah, Spencer, Newalla, Edmond, Piedmont, Canadian County, Cleveland County and Oklahoma County.


Denker & Butler P.L.L.C.

4700 N.W. 23rd Street
Suite 112
Oklahoma City, OK 73127
405.563.7151 telephone
405.947.7904 fax

Attorney Advertising. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. [ Site Map ] [ Bookmark Us ]

See our profile at or

LexisNexis, Martindale-Hubbell and the Knowledge Burst logo are registered trademarks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used under license. Other products or services may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies. © 2012 LexisNexis. All rights reserved.

Related posts: